RE: POR-15 questions

To: <McGaheyRx@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: POR-15 questions
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:36:21 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Jack,

> questions for those of you who have used POR 15 products:
>
> did you use their "marine clean" ? would any good degreaser
> do just as well ?

I tried their "Marine Clean". And while it's a very nice degreaser it's
nothing magical. I don't think it much matters what you use to clean stuff
first. I bead blasted anything I could fit in my cabinet.

> how about "metal ready" ?

Yes - I used "metal ready" on everything that I painted w/ POR15. From what
I've heard I would consider this a MUST. The only negative comments I've
heard regarding POR15 not adhering well have been from those that did not
use this first. I used it on everything.

> How much POR 15 would one need to cover a TR6 frame ? 1 qt? or more ?

One quart was enough for two coats on my TR3 frame.

> can you close a can of POR-15 and reopen and use it later or
> will this stuff seal the can shut ?

They say to pour the stuff out of the can into a small container to paint
from and then seal the can back up. I always forgot to do that. What I did
was put a plastic bag over the top of the can and then pound the lid back
down to seal it up pretty tight. That way it comes back apart OK and doesn't
dry out the paint. Once opened, however, it won't last forever --- but I've
finished up unused portions of cans quite a few weeks later and found it to
be OK.

> would you recomend using the disposable bristle type brushes
> in the POR-15
> catalog or would diposable foam type brushes be okay ?

I actually have found that I like the disposable foam type brushes better.
The stuff really goes on nice and easy and by the time you get the 2nd coat
on (a few hours after the first) it looks really good.

> has anybody used "POR epoxy putty" ? could I use this to fill
> dents and
> dimples
> in the frame ?  how about "POR patch" ?

Sorry, have not used either of the above --- but they sound like they would
work for that purpose. The putty sounds like nice stuff -- I even had a tube
of it but it has mysteriously disappeared without ever getting to try it
out.

 > Thanks
> Jack McGahey

Good Luck,