Re: TDC Timing

To: <Kenneth_Brown@dot.ca.gov>
Subject: Re: TDC Timing
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:04:09 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Ken and list.

It's not a trick, really, just some comon sense (quantities limited, get
yours now).

Advanced timing presumes faster RPM's and is in part, there to account for
how long it takes the fuel to ignite at those speeds.  At cranking speed,
this advance fires the spark before TDC too - so it kinda "fights" the
start.  Yo do not need, or want, this kind of loading on a fresh motor so
you set it at TDC.  The spark will "help" the piston downward.

Done this way, the motor I recently fired up actually started BY ACCIDENT.
I was doing a bastard ignition switch wiring (DCO has not got the correctc
switch) and I turned the key too far.  A brief kick on the starter as I
turned the key too far and in half a crank or so at least one cylinder
fired.  When I "really" tried to lite it up, it went in maybe one
revolution!!!!

Ted also advises that you MUST run the cam in at 2000 RPM or a bit better
for 20 minutes or a bit longer.  I suspect this is an exact replica of what
"running in" meant at the factory lo those many decades ago.  Dump the oil
(light weight, pref non-detergent) and refill with fresh filter and correct
oil.  Reset timing and break in as a brand new car.

In those 20 minutes, if anything is going to leak or go wrong, it will.
Nothing did.  In fact,  I had occasion to do a leakdown test on the  car and
with 110 psi of compressor air force feding the cylinders, there was
indications the rings seated themselves perfectly (virtually no hiss from
the oil filler hole), no coolant bubbles or hiss at the carbs or tailpipe.
Having looked at more than a few motors that were "freshened up" I can
assure you that a well machined block with new everything is absolutely the
way to go.  Ted talked with me at Road America about how he builds a "good
strong 150 bhp motor" and I can assure you, there are no corners cut.  I
will have nothing to do with building my next race motor - these are just a
few of the tricks we see on the surface, a good engine builder will not give
away his "best trade secrets" but will do whatever it takes to make sure the
motor gets put in and run in correctly.

Dave T
Winnipeg