RE:Pos eart and tools

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@bigpond.net.au>
Subject: RE:Pos eart and tools
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:24:00 -0400
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
>Dave
>
>This is the most sensible argument I have heard, but does it accord with
>the facts?  British cars had positive earth until the 1960s and we have
>heard from previous posts that many US cars had positive earth before
that,
>with Ford converting reluctantly in the mid 1950s.  I have no idea what
the
>European practice was, but it seems like almost all cars were positive
>earth before 1930.  Who were the car manufacturers with the market power
>necessary to convert the world to negative earth?
>
>Trevor Jordan
>74 TR6 CF29281U

The fact that all cars should be the same is logical.  The selection of
negative
earth over positive earth is the question.  What did GM do?  What did VW
do?
Renault?  Fiat?  So far I haven't heard from these guys yet.  GM probably
had
enough clout to become the standard all by themselves.  That is if they
were
negative earth.

Another possibility is that the electronics content going into cars from
the 40's
on drove the decision, as has been mentioned, but I kinda doubt it.

Dave Massey