RE: tr6 engine bearings

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr6 engine bearings
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:51:02 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks to the listers who recently gave me advice on an upcoming bearing
replacement on my TR6. I have a follow-up question concerning thrust
washers.

First of all, the engine has almost 80,000mi and the bearings and oil pump
are original. Last time I checked my crank end float was 0.011" and it has
been at that value for quite a while before the last measurement so it is
not getting any worse for the time being. Nonetheless, I have noticed a
slight decrease in warm idle oil pressure to around 20-25psi (used to be
25-30 for the longest time). Thus I think it's time for some bottom end work
on the engine.

I plan to replace both sets of bearings (main and rod), rebuild the oil
pump, and replace the thrust washers to bring the clearance to factory specs
(~0.006" I believe). I have located a set of Vandervell bearings for the
main and rod journals and have an oil pump rebuild kit on the way.

I noticed the thrust washers in the TRF catalog have a Vandervell-like part
number -- should I be concerned about getting Vandervell thrust washers as
well or is that not as big a deal as trying to get true Vandervell main and
rod bearings?

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---