OD Solenoid...... Working again

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD Solenoid...... Working again
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:48:50 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Scions,

A few days I posted about my A-Type solenoid high amp circuit failing for no
apparent reason.  I had been running the solenoid hotwired off the ammeter
circuit as I was road testing the OD.  As I was completing the wiring of the
switch and relay, the solenoid lost the "snap" you get when the high amp
circuit engages.  The solenoid would not really pull in on it's own any
more.  It would hold, if I moved it into place, but not on it's own.  Blown
solenoid high amp coil circuit was my immediate conclusion, with the
appropriate expletives departing my mouth, even though I had checked the
solenoid amps in operation and knew it was set properly.

I received an off line post from Randall Young, who suggested that the
contact points might be badly pitted and not conducting, especially since
the solenoid had been working and had generated no smoke or heat prior to
failing.  This was echoed by my parts supplier Keith Thomson of
RealeyHealey, who I asked to get me pricing on a new and also a good used
solenoid.  BTW - he had just sold his last used one, don't bother calling.

Last night I cleaned the contacts in the solenoid and BINGO the high amp
circuit is back.  Whew!  Now my only concern is that Susan (my wife) will
discover where her extra fine emery board went.  ;-)

BTW - Randall and I also discussed slot car (1/24 scale and Aurora car) hop
up tricks we BOTH used successfully in the 70's, so if he challenges you to
a slot car race, be forewarned.  ;-)

See ya in Maine (at fewer rpms),

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A