TR6 Crankshaft Float Q?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Crankshaft Float Q?
From: SpeedSites@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:29:51 EDT
Looking at a 75 TR6 that I would like to buy. Only real problem is that it
can be very difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd. As speed increases, it
generally becomes easier to shift, but from a stop (and sometimes when
driving) it can be balky from 2 to 3 as well. Vague, balky, rubbery are the
best descriptors. The car has not been driven a lot this year, according to
current owner.

I spoke to a Triumph mechanic who suggested that it might be 1) incomplete
clutch engagement (I don' think so), or 2) the dreaded end shaft float. We
did a quick diagnostic for layshaft bearing and that would not seem to be the
problem.

So... can anyone run down the symptoms of this dreaded disease and what it
costs to set it right?

One more thing: I checked compression in the cylinders and all 6 are within 5
lbs of each other, all are firing (at idle) at about 75 lbs. I would think
that if the back end of the crank was wobbling that I should see a drop in
compression in the rearmost cylinder (via wear from the loose crank)?

Any thoughts?

I apologize if you are all sick of this question, I have not encountered this
before.

Rod Pyle