Re: Bumper info request on Spitfire

To: jdeatsc1@rochester.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bumper info request on Spitfire
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:28:30 EDT
In a message dated 99-08-06 18:33:51 EDT, jdeatsc1@rochester.rr.com writes:

<< Here is my dilemma.  I thought the overriders attached to the bumper
 itself.
 Therefore.......
 How can the overriders be attached to the car without the bumper fitted?

jim & judy,

That's a good question.....I just ran out to the garage to have a look at the
overriders on my '70 Spit Mk3.  On mine, the overriders attach to the two
front bonnet supports (brackets) on the botom of each overrider and possibly
the top (it's tough to see under there).

But, the bumper also attaches to the front bonnet supports by way of bumper
brackets welded to the inside of the bumper.  The mating pieces on the bonnet
support are extended about an inch beyond the bonnet support on each side.
What all this means I think is that if one tried to install just overriders,
the left and right bumper brackets on top of the bonnet supports would show -
wouldn't look very attractive unless I'm missing something!

That's the scoop on a Mk3....with the raised bumper....the overrider
arrangement for the earlier cars with lower bumpers could be entirely
different.

Good luck with your new Spit!

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spitfire Mk3  FDU78512L  (Decent Driver!)