Re: "lift the dot" fasteners....

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: "lift the dot" fasteners....
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:28:53 -0400 ()
Cc: Cliff Pike <cpike@cpass.net>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Joe Curry wrote:

> Andy,
> "That's the point".  Being harder to get off, they don't come off by
> themselves like the metal grommets do.

In all honesty, I have never had that problem.

> > But the "eyelets" are a bit easier to put onto the posts, and a LOT easier
> > to remove, IMO.
>
> To make them easier to get off all you have to do is follow
> instructions.  i.e. "Lift-the-Dot"  8^)

Thanks for the emoticon. But that returns to the original question of
which way the Lift-the-Dot should be oriented? Having answered that
question for the most part, I still maintain that the eyelets are easier
to manage all around. The L-t-D fasteners grip almost too well and can be
difficult to remove no matter how the "Dot" is oriented. This from
personal experience.

I think I understand why the L-t-D fasteners are included with Robbins
tonneau covers: they're easy to install and require no more sophisticated
tool than a Swiss Army Knife or other sharp object. An eyelet does require
a special tool to install. And there is, I suppose, a slightly increased
risk of the eyelet tearing/pulling out, or of the vinyl tearing around the
eyelet. But I still prefer the eyelet. I think Triumph got this one just
right.

YMMV! :-)

--Andy