Re: "lift the dot" fasteners.... dated: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:28:53 -04

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "lift the dot" fasteners.... dated: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:28:53 -0400 ()
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:07:03 -0400 (EDT)

> On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > Andy,
> > "That's the point".  Being harder to get off, they don't come off by
> > themselves like the metal grommets do.
>
> In all honesty, I have never had that problem.

I can defintely concur with Andy on this one.  My MG years ago had L-t-D
fasteners and never came loose.  My Spit has eylets and I tend to drive it
frequently with only the drivers side uncovered and the other side has
blown loose a half-dozen times already (and I have only had it on the
road a month!!)

> > > But the "eyelets" are a bit easier to put onto the posts, and a LOT easier
> > > to remove, IMO.
> >
> > To make them easier to get off all you have to do is follow
> > instructions.  i.e. "Lift-the-Dot"  8^)
>
> Thanks for the emoticon. But that returns to the original question of
> which way the Lift-the-Dot should be oriented?

It seems obvious to me that they should be pointed toward the edges of the
cover.

>                                                 Having answered that
> question for the most part, I still maintain that the eyelets are easier
> to manage all around. The L-t-D fasteners grip almost too well and can be
> difficult to remove no matter how the "Dot" is oriented. This from
> personal experience.

Difficult??  I can't imagine any situation when time would be so critical
as to make this a problem.  If the wife is going into labor I hardly
expect one will be cramming her in the roadster.  :-)

All the best.

bill

--
bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.