TR3 ignition light?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 ignition light?
From: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 14:56:09 -0800
My TR3 (still + ground) ignition light has me baffled..  When I turn on
the ignition it shines bright and goes out when I start the
engine....just fine... but it starts to glow when I reach 2500 rpms and
gets brighter as I rev higher.   At idle or if I let off the gas it goes
out.  The Ampmeter reads zero except when under load (ie blinkers or
brake lights and reads -15 with headlights) and doesn't seem to respond
as the light changes nor does it seem to recover from small loads like
wipers (-5 or 6).  New battery - (reads +/- 12.9v no load to +/- 11.8v
w/ wipers no engine).   After hard fast driving for several days (yes!
it made it to the ATDI in Wenatchee WA - a great NW warm up for  VTR
2000) my battery now is at 10.v and not enough juice for the
starter...obviously not getting charged.    I had replaced the generator
(2nd one - first was a dud).  I tried a new regulator and the ampmeter
immediately went to +30 so I put the old one back in rather than fry
everything.  The belt is new and tight and the gen .pulley is tight and
has the woodruff key in.
SO.....
Is it possible that the generator or the regulator work only at low rpms
and kick out just at high rpms?.
Why wouldn't the light glow brighter at low rpms rather than just high
if the system wasn't charging??
Why would a new regulator  immediately over charge?

Perplexed but really learning to love this car.
Bill Hook ,
rookie w/ 57 TR3 and now seriously wanting an overdrive..