Amerenglish (was : Discrimination)

Subject: Amerenglish (was : Discrimination)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:46:34 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Several years ago, I asked an American friend of mine who was living in
Germany to investigate fiberglass fenders for my TR3.  He called the place
in the UK that I had seen listed in Hemmings, but they absolutely could not
figure out why anyone would want to put fenders on a car !  They asked
around a bit, and finally someone twigged that they were talking to a
'Yank', and he really wanted wings.  Whereupon, my friend said "No, this is
a car, not a plane !".  A good chuckle was had by all (but I never did get
my fenders, er, I mean wings).

Just in case you are confused by the above, in British English, a 'fender'
is something you put on the side of a boat, to keep it from hitting the
dock.  The piece of metal (or fiberglass) that goes over the top of the
wheels on a car is called a 'wing'.  In American English, the thing over
the wheels on a car is a 'fender', and a 'wing' is what allows airplanes
(aeroplanes) to fly.

Randall