RE: Theft Proofing - switch locations anyone?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Theft Proofing - switch locations anyone?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:02:35 -0700
IMO most of the protection of a kill switch is that most thieves won't
think to look for it.

I like the 'indirection' approach : wire something trivial (like the dash
lights) to a different switch, then use the original switch as the kill
switch.  To get really fancy, add a three position switch in a
not-too-hidden location that activates a red LED in one position, and a
siren in another.  Make the siren latch 'on' for about 30 seconds.

On cars with in-dash vents, putting a micro-switch behind one of the vents,
so it's hidden but kills when the vent is closed, is also a good place.
 You could also do something with the first 1/4" travel of the choke knob

Yet another approach is to use a somewhat hidden key switch.  Behind the
passenger seat, under the occasional seat might be a good place in a TR3.

I also think killing the fuel supply, instead of the ignition is a good
idea.  The concept is that the car will start, and run for a few blocks,
which will most likely be a much more open, unprotected place.  Then the
car dies mysteriously, and most thieves will simply take to their heels.

Dan Master's idea of a pager sounds wonderful, too.

Last, I haven't heard anyone mention Lo-Jack.  Don't know if it's available
outside of the US, but the people I know that have it seem pretty happy.
 Of course, Lo-Jack doesn't so much try to prevent having your car stolen,
as try to get it back quickly afterwards.

Randall