Voltage System Overcharge

To: Truimph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Voltage System Overcharge
From: gknight <gknight2@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:35:51 -0400

ok guys looking for some advice here. while driving my car today ( 73
tr6) i had just left the house and glanced at the guages and noticed the
voltage guage was pegged. i turned the car off in traffic and restarted
and still pretty much the same thing. i really had to pick my daughter
up so i continued on. ( not real smart i know) when i restarted from
picking her up the needle didnt quite reach the red this time. i had one
more stop to make and on the 3rd restart the needle went to its "normal"
position at around 13. stayed there till i got home. started up to put
in garage about an hour ago and pegged again.

any ideas what's up with this?

1. voltage stabalizer
2. alternater
3. the guage it's self

the needle stays steady where ever it goes, no wavering.

i have a spare alt and guage. no spare stabalizer.  how/where would i
test to start troubleshooting this.

mech. stuff i can pretty well figure out but when it come to elec stuff
i sometime get a little lost.

any help grately appreciated

gary knight
73 TR 6  CF331U