RE: Terrible engine noise -- need diagnosis help

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Terrible engine noise -- need diagnosis help
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:14:07 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Here are some answers to your questions.  By the way, you have all said the
same thing.  That it sounds like the Connecting Rod Bearings.

*Does the knocking get worse under load, ie acceleration in high gear?*

Knocking does get worse under load.  Although, once hearing it, I backed of
on heavy acceleration.  The knocking is very bad in gears 1 through 3.
Fourth gear does produce the sound, but not as loudly.

*Does it get less or disappear on the overrun?*

                Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by overrun.

*Is it a slow thumping noise or a fast woodpecker-like noise?*

                The noise is a fast woodpecker-like noise.

*Other questions I have received include:  Is there a rattle upon start-up?*

                I have not heard a rattle.  I'm not sure this means anything
good or bad.