Re: TR4 - Tires Rubbing on Fender

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 - Tires Rubbing on Fender
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:34:19 -0400
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 24-Aug-99 23:44:33 Eastern Daylight Time,
> sanborn@net1plus.com writes:
>
> > Does not happen on the right side.  I notice that there is
> >  slightly less clearance between the tire and the front edge of the wheel
> >  well on the side making the noise.
> >
> >  This never happened before with the disc wheels.  The track is a little
> >  wider now... you can notice it.  The suspension is OK but tired.... PO did
> >  new rubber bushings up top but the shocks are tired and I have no way to
> >  judge the springs.  I will check for travel stops tomorrow morning.
>
> Seems to me that the suspension on that side is the problem.  Check to see if
> the "bump rubber" (travel stop) is there.  If not check to see if anything
> else is bent or your shock or spring is bad.  This is not normal.
> >
> >  Anybody seen this before.  Could just be a fender bender that was not put
> >  back all the way.
>
> Another possibility.  The wheel is farther out than with the disks and if
> something is bent that could be the case.

Brian,

Another possiblility - you say the PO did the upper control arm bushes - if he
had the
fulcrum pin off, it could be put on backwards and that will change the camber.
Look
at the fulcrum pin, it is bowed offset in the middle - the offset should be to
the
inside or middle of the car.  I've seen people get this wrong before and it
would
upset the geometry enough that it may cause rubbing.

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars