RE: caliper pad break-in

To: "fergie@ntplx.net" <fergie@ntplx.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: caliper pad break-in
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:27:16 -0400
Michael,

I do not buy into turning the rotor every time you change the pads.
If the pedal pulses, that is another story.  Even if there is a little scoring
of the rotor, so what, the scores will create matching topography on the pad
shortly.  Will it lower braking power?  IMVHO, not noticeable.

Sure, use emory paper on the rotor, but why create more wear on the rotor.

As for rotors being out of true when new.  I bet some are.  but is it frequent
enough to pay for turning all of them to avoid the cost of removing a new one
turn and reinstall it when you feel a pulsation?  I doubt it is all that
frequent.

MYWDV (Will Definitely).

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>

Not sure about new pads on old rotors, but your note reminded me that my
local non-LBC mechanic swears by having new rotors turned before installing.
Says even new ones aren't always true. Maybe he's just conning me, trying to
make a buck, but he only charges a few bucks each, so he's not making much!
Coincidentally(?), the marks left on the newly turned rotors are in a swirl
pattern. Maybe there's something to your emery cloth idea.
<