Longdoor TR2 Sold at Auction & Monterey

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Longdoor TR2 Sold at Auction & Monterey
From: "Kurt" <koblinger@linkline.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 99 12:54:57 -0700
Hi all,

I'm just back from Monterey and haven't gone through my digests yet so I don't
know if anyone has reported on this yet so here goes. I went to one of the
numerous auctions during the Monterey weekend and saw a Longdoor TR2 go accross
the block for $22,000. I only saw the car on the auction dais, but it looked
well restored and correct. It was advertised in the catalog as having had a
$30,000 restoration. It was finished in BRG with black interior and had disk
wheels. I don't recall if it had OD. The comm. no. was around TS2100. This info
was in the catalog but that's at home at the monment. From what I saw, I'd rate
the bodywork as very good but not great. I could detect quite a fe ripples in
the doors and flat portions of the fenders as well as the hood. The type of
harsh spot lighting used tends to let the imperfections stand out. The paint
was excellent thought and it sounded good. All the details I could observe
looked correct.

No Triumphs on the track at the races this year but there were a good selection
of 4-wheeled Morgans including 2 of the 3 Morgan SLRs built. There was a
special Morgan class at Pebble Beach and Peter Morgan was an Honorary Judge.
First in class there was an immaculate Plus 4 Super Sports Drophead Coupe owned
by Jerry Rosenstock. I believe there were only 2 Super Sports Built in this
body style.

Best of Show went to a stunning, and I really mean stunning, 1932 Daimler
Double Six Saloon. Try to imagina a car, almost 20 feet long, almost half of
that bonnet, with a roof a bare 10 inches higher than the scuttle. No running
boards, riding on large diameter (like 21") wheels. My first impression was of
a Bugatti Royale with a chopped roof. Finished in flawlwss black with the
fluted Daimler radiator cowl topped with a bull elephants head the size of a
softball for a mascot. This car won best of show by an almost unanimous vote. I
can just imagine the what this thing must have looked like barreling down the
road in the '30s.

Well, my credit cards almost tapped out, I shot 45 rolls of film, my feet and
back still hurt, and I can't wait for next year.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
Erstwhile writer and photographer
Triump owner