TR6 thrust wasjer update

To: Trimumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 thrust wasjer update
From: Steve <wsteve@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:08:57 -0700
Here's the story.
Pulled the pan/sump this morning, bad news, both washers were in the bottom
of the pan. The one on the front of the crank is in good shape the rear one
is about half there and both the crank and block surfaces are history.

I read through Scott Helms excellent web page,
http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/tr6.html
Thanks Kai for pointing the way. Unfortunately I didn't catch it in time.
Scott mentions that the original material for the washer is steel coated
with copper? The ones that I put in looked to be all steel (stuck to a
magnet) without any type of coating as are the oversized ones I purchased at
the same time, made by the same manuf.

Question 1:
Could the all steel thrust washer have made a difference?

Question 2:
If I decide to rebuild this myself  for the third time, due to the same
problem, what can I do to avoid this in the future? This is a daily driver,
approx. 20,000 miles per year and this engine has lasted just over a year, I
can't believe that this happened when these cars were new.

Question 3:
If  I decide to go with a rebuilt short block who has the best warranty and
the best reputation for customer support and standing behind their
warranty?  In case it makes a difference I'm located in Southern California.

Thanks
Steve Wilkinson