TR3 problem solved -- maybe

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 problem solved -- maybe
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:52:02 -0400
At VTR, they were giving away some free samples of cleaner/degreaser.  After
returning home, I thought I would try some on the Triumph engine and engine
compartment, which was a bit cruddy.  Per the instructions, I carefully
covered the carbs, distributor, coil, etc. with plastic wrap.  I then
sprayed it on and hosed it off.  Hmmmm... pretty good job.

Whoops -- there's a problem that wasn't there before.  The directional
signals are working erratically.  Also, the green directional light
indicator on the dash is on part way all the time now --  before, it seems
to me, it was off unless the lights were flashing.  Du-u-h....  I forgot to
cover the flasher module, and water got in.

Today I took the flasher apart -- not difficult to carefully pry the
aluminum rim up.  Yup, there was 1/8 inch of wet sludge in there.  Rinsed it
thoroughly, cleaned the mechanism with a little brush, and baked it dry in
the oven at 200F for 1/2 hour.  I then sprayed it with a little contact
cleaner and reassembled it.  You can hardly tell it's been opened.

It now works like new.  There is only one problem.  The green light still is
on at about half brightness all the time.  (It flashes brightly when the
lights flash, but doesn't go completely out when the directionals are off.)
I don't ever recall it doing that before.  Any suggestions?

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B