Re: 63 TR4 "B: Posts (restoration)

To: MRobe33243@aol.com
Subject: Re: 63 TR4 "B: Posts (restoration)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:24:08 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 MRobe33243@aol.com wrote:

>      When tearing into the tired and rusty metal to replace my inner sill,
> rocker panels and floor boards, I did the drivers (left side) first.  As I
> got to the bottom of the B post, I ran into brazing between the bottom of the
> post and the rocker panel.  I and my esteemed colleague opined that the
> vehicle must have been in a wreck and some clod had brazed the post to the
> rocker  panel.  However, in reconstructing the right side , brazing was
> discovered at the same site.  Are there any old salts out there that can
> affirm that these were factory welds or otherwise.

I'm not sure sure about TR whatevers, but I've seen brazing on the
Spitfire line. Of course, most of the body is spot-welded together, but
there are a few places where a bit of brazing was used to close up "butt"
joints and the like or fill little gaps and spots. Also, ISTR that I've
seen lots of later "square-tail" Spitfires (even when new) where the outer
sill "skin" -- in the area of its top seam as covered by the rear of the
bonnet side panel -- was spot-brazed in a few choice areas in addition to
or instead of the spots welds usually seen there.

--Andy