VERY frustrating "hot" GT6+

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: VERY frustrating "hot" GT6+
From: "Beth and Ken" <BethKen@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:05:43 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
First...many thanks to those of you who have followed my travails with this
car.

It's STILL OVERHEATING after:

rebuilding bypass valves, rebuilding temperature compensators, new water
pump, back flushing system (radiator is evenly hot...no cold spots), setting
dwell and timing.

When I got the car, the heater was bypassed...no heater valve or anything.
God knows how, but I may have done something to cause the overheating when I
addes a heater valve and re-ran the water through the manifold as
designed...can't imagine what.

It used to idle up to 2,300 when it overheated. That's been helped by the TC
and bypass rebuild me thinks. Still, it overheats! Now, it won't hold an
idle until it's very hot...on the verge of overheating. Then it will idle at
about 1,300. Up until then, I need to use judicious choke or sit there and
"blip" it. When it's about to die, a "blip" will cause a backfire first.
Also, the rear carb is leaking fuel from the vacuum pipe (underneath) at
idle. This stops after a minute or so. Also, fuel comsumption seems to be
high...hard to tell because I'm mostly idling in the driveway. After driving
38 miles, and idling for probably 3-4 hours, I'd say I've consumed 1/2 tank!

Compression is 160-135-135-160-160-160, but builds back up in #2 and #3 when
I add some oil to the cylinders, so I'm assuming bad rings/valves and not a
bad gasket.

At this point I'm ready to ask..."Know of a good REAL mechanic for LBC in
Baltimore (nearest one I know is in Finksburg, a 40 minute drive...I'll
never make it w/o a flatbed..$$$$)

ken shapiro
baltimore
1970 "HOT" GT6 KC81872L