Slave Cylinder Return

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Slave Cylinder Return
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:47:17 EDT
Putting the 4A back together. The old slave cylinder was shot so I got a new
one. After ordering but while waiting for it to arrive, I mused over the way
the system operates down there. Having removed the old one, I saw the set-up
I had and most seems obvious. The fluid goes into the cylinder,  pushes the
piston against the push rod which pushes the cross lever which pushes the
bearing. OK.
But then, I pondered, what makes the push rod come back. I assume the return
spring inside the cylinder retracts the piston but it's not attached to the
push rod.
So I looked in Haynes, and Ken Ball's Autobook, and VB and Moss and, etc. -
and every one of them show an 'anchor plate' and a 'return spring' on the
outside of the cylinder. That answers my question, I guess, but the 4A didn't
have one - neither does the 4 I have for a parts car. Now the car hasn't been
driven in several years but it was before. It was even a daily driver for a
while, and I am sure there was no clutch problem. Can this car operate
without that return spring?
Secondly, is there any generic sort of spring I can use for this. I hate to
wait for the spring (or pay more shipping than its cost). If it's of a kind
that can be bought in a hardware store, what are the dimensions?
Finally, I see that the spring hooks on that anchor plate at the rear. Where
does it go towards the front. In the hole where one of the bolts attaches the
cylinder to the plate?
TIA