TR6 ring gap

To: TR6 List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6 Pack List <6packlist@mfasco.com>
Subject: TR6 ring gap
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:48:29 -0400
List,
        In the process of checking the ring gap prior to installing my new
+.040 pistons, the 1st compression ring is in spec., although on the
high end at .017. The second ring is .018, or +.005 over spec.
consistently from bore to bore. The bore diameter is 2.969". The pistons
came with the rings and were purchased from BPNW.
        Questions: 1. Did the machine shop overbore the cylinders?
                or 2. are the rings too short?
        or 3. because it is a +.040
overbore I am worrying needlessly and everything will be just fine if I
install the pistons with the supplied rings?
        Please let it be 3, as I was planning on putting this engine together
this weekend.
TIA
Jim Davis
CF38690UO engine on stand