Herald Coupé progress and questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Herald Coupé progress and questions
From: Tadd Clayton <t.clayton@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 08:46:24 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)
Delivery-receipt-to: Tadd Clayton <t.clayton@auckland.ac.nz>
Hi all

We picked up the coupé over the weekend and found a place to store it as well.
Transport
went well but, between the the car transporter trailer and the coupé, my poor
old MG Montego
Turbo was feeling the strain.  We started stripping parts off it (hampered by a
lack of
imperial size tools) and had a good look over the car.  The good news is that
all the
brightwork and some of the body panels appear to be in good condition.  The bad
news is that
the floor pan underneath the rear seat and the boot floor are badly rusted out.
 Previous
owners had tried a number of dodgy repair methods including pop riveting sheet
metal over
the holes.  Some of the body panels (doors, rear quarters and boot) also have
bits of rust
in them.  We're planning to remove all the bodywork and get it bead blasted so
that we
find all the rust.  The plan is to eventually get it back to a bare chassis
with the aim of
finding any rust (one outrigger at least is definitely affected) and then
checking the
dimensions of the chassis to make sure it's not distorted.  Does anyone know of
a source for
the measurements?  We'll also need a repair panel for the rear floor pan - does
anyone know
of a source for this?  Rimmer Brothers appear to have a boot floor but not the
floor pan.

The commission number (GA123573 CP/Z) indicates that the coupé was constructed
in 1963.
This was a surprise to us as we had been told that it was a 1962 car.  Does
anyone know what
the 'Z' in the suffix means?  Eventually we'll contact the BMIHT and get the
original specs
and construction date. Information on the history of the car in New Zealand may
be hard to
come by as it has been de-registered and may have been removed from the
database.  We think
that it was last registered and mobile in 1996.

Thanks for any help

Tadd

Tadd Clayton
Email: t.clayton@auckland.ac.nz