flickering AMP gauge needle on TR250

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: flickering AMP gauge needle on TR250
From: AKATR5@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 00:29:05 EDT
Hi all...I am a list lurker but I have a problem with my TR250 that I can not
seem to figure out and I was hoping some of the list experts might be able to
help me.  Below is a synopsis of the problem and what I have tried to fix it.
 Any suggestions from the list on what I should try next would be most
appreciated as I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Thanks,
Jan Dawson

The System: 1968 Triumph TR250 with stock 15AC Lucas alternator with stock
external Lucas 4TR voltage regulator mounted next to fuse box.  Voltage
measured at battery 14.3 at 2200 RPMs.

The Symptoms:   Needle on AMP gauge in dash flickers from side to side while
the ignition/"no charge" light in speedo gauge flickers on and off.

    Engine RPM does not seem to affect condition.

    Turning on running lights, headlights or activating horns makes condition
go away (i.e. AMP gauge needle remains steady at neutral position and
ignition/"no charge" light does not light up.

What I have tried to eliminate problem:

    ·   Had my alternator tested at an alternator shop - tested ok
    ·   Performed diode check as described in Bentley Repair manual - tested
ok
    ·   Checked brushes in alternator
    ·   Put in a "known" good alternator
    ·   Tried a new voltage regulator
    ·   Tried a different AMP gauge
    ·   Tried a new battery
    ·   Took apart voltage regulator and tested internal diodes and resistors
and checked out per wiring diagram - tested ok
    ·   Tested grounds to make sure all had good "clean" connections and no
resistance
    ·   Tried adding a ground connection from alternator body to negative on
battery
    ·   Checked continuity of wires from alternator to voltage regulator
    ·   Checked ground wire from alternator to engine block
    ·   Wired extra AMP gauge in series with existing gauge in dash, which
only served to make the symptoms worse.  Condition would not stop when
headlights were turned on and it made the headlight flicker too.