Re: union-jack

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Subject: Re: union-jack
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:44:53 +0100
Cc: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
"Kai M. Radicke" wrote:

> > Listers, why is the Brit flag called a = Union-Jack =, I had this asked of
> > me this a.m. and had no answer, but, sure would like to know.  "FT"
>
> In the dim and distant past, someone told me that the term Union Jack was
>only used when the flag was on a boat - the 'JACK' description by Kai being
>the place the flag is displayed on a boat, but when it is on a land based flag
>pole it is known as the Union Flag.........  and of course there is a right
>and a wrong way up to fly it.
A lot of Brits also think it is the flag for England,  but
that is the white flag with the red cross on it -the cross
of St George (who wasn't English - I think he was Spanish).
Then of course there are the Ensign flags that are flown on
boats and ships as well...

I never know which one to fly.....
Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

Cheers
Brian Johnson  (Loughborough - UK)
1963  TR4   AFP 503A (UK) / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now
not L but O )
1954  TR2   46 BHX                         TS554-O   UK Car
in pieces
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI   - Eurobox  but it goes !
Internet b.johnson@lycosmail.com
Website http://websites.diamond.co.uk/~b.johnson/index.htm