Re: Redlining your Tires--TR6

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Redlining your Tires--TR6
From: Skip Osmundsen <gosmund@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:32:43 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom Di Iulio wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>     After saving about a year's worth of threads on tire makes and sizes for
> a TR6, I've decided to purchase a set of 205/70's. I do still want the
> "redline look" and am interested in feedback from those of you that have
> converted today's tires by having the redline added to your tire of choice.
> a few questions..
> 1. who does it?
> 2. how much per tire?
> 3. who do they do it?
> 4. does it look correct, or like the glue-on whitewalls of the 70's?
> 5. does it affect the integrity of the tire?
>     I am aware of sources like coker who offer redlines, but their price is
> exorbitant and i'm limited to the make and design of the tire. my idea is to
> buy the best tire I can afford and have it "redlined" if the listers with
> experience give a thumbs up.
>     thanks for your advice.
> Tom Di Iulio
> 1976 TR6 (tranny getting overdrive'd!)
> Denver, Co
Tom, I had British Wire Wheel  in Ca (no interest) redline a set of
Pirelli's for me.  They look really good.  The process involves
engraving a shallow groove in the sidewall then using a vulcanizing
process to add the red stripe.   I asked about the affect it had on
the strength of the tire and he simply said that he's never had a
failure, (not a very definitive answer but I don't plan on racing the
car so I'm not concerned).
He charges $20.00/tire for the redlining and he allowed me to buy
my tires from tirerack.com (saved a bundle) and have them dropshipped to
him. They have a site at www.britishwirewheel.com or you can call them
at 800 732 9866.
Good luck.

Skip Osmundsen