Paint stripping with pressure washer: results

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint stripping with pressure washer: results
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:46:25 EDT
Today I stripped the paint off of my TR3A using AIRCRAFT paint stripper and a
6 HP power washer.  The paint removed more easily from surfaces that are
exposed to sunlight and weather rather than surfaces such as the bottom of
the bonnet or boot and in the wheel wells.  I imagine that this is due to
exposure to UV rays.  The areas in the wheel wells didn't strip too well,
either.
The first coat of stripper and first power wash removed 50-70% of the paint
off of the exposed surfaces and 40-50% of the exposed surfaces.
The second coat of stipper removed all but the last 5% of the exposed
surfaces and all but 15-30% of the unexposed surfaces.
The remaining paint becomes brittle and removes readily with the aid of a
grinder outfitted with a twisted wire brush.
The power washer is especially helpfull in the engine bay area as there are a
lot of difficult areas to sand.  There is still some paint remaining in this
area but shouldn't be too difficult to wire brush.
The downside of power washing is all that water causes the surfaces develop
flash rust and will need to be treated prior to painting.
Would I use power washing to remove paint on future projects?  The answer is
definitely , YES!  I feel that it made the job much easier and has the side
benifit of really cleaning out those hidden and crevices.

Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A (DeLorean body finish)