Re: Broken TR6 Clutch Fork Pin

To: "Richard A. Radasch" <miles@anet-stl.com>
Subject: Re: Broken TR6 Clutch Fork Pin
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:15:02 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I had the same problem, but the only advice I found was to cut the shaft.  Being
cheap, I drilled to the back of the pin.

- Take a nailset and make a dimple inside the V of the fork.  You probably can't
go straight to the pin, so plan for this and start the hole just inside the pin.
- Use a 3/32 drill bit and drill as far as you can with it chucked normally,
then pull it almost all the way out of the chuck and drill the rest of the way.
You will feel the bit go through.
- Take a 1/16" punch and tap it while jiggling the fork and cross shaft.
- If all goes well, the pin will pop right out.

This took about 20 minutes.  Check the fork carefully.  After all this effort,
mine was cracked where the pin screws in and had to be replaced anyway.  I
drilled a 3/32" hole in the new fork before installation.  Should the new pin
break, it will come apart easily.

Many people recommend drilling a 1/4" hole through the shaft and fork and adding
a grade 5 or 8 bolt with nyloc nut.  You want to size the bolt such that the
shank is all the way through the fork.  I didn't do this, but will next time I
have the transmission out.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6