wire wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: wire wheels
From: HARDWEBB@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:33:29 EDT
I apologize for this next question which has probably been rehashed many
times, however I'm new to this and still learning.  I put 2 new wires and
adapters on my tr3, hammered them on with moderate force and drove them about
100 miles over the weekend.  (I've read that they are supposed to self
tighten)  When I checked on the lift today I found one wheel loose (the nut
did not loosen but I could feel the play in the splines)  Any opinions on
this?  Also, I'm temporarily using used wheels and adapters on the rear.  Is
there a way of knowing when the splines are too worn?  Are the wheels going
to fall off?  or will they be OK as long as I keep the nuts (knockoffs)
tight?                                          Thanks again to all for your
time and patience,  Steve