Bumper mounts

To: jschroth@oh.verio.com
Subject: Bumper mounts
From: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:33:55 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

> The front bumper mounts on the 80TR7 have fallen into hard times.  The
> plate that is bolted to the bumper has seperated from the rubber section
> of the mount, leaving the bumper to flop around.  I just heard from
> Rimmer that the mount is no longer available.  Does anyone know of a
> supplier for this hard to find part?

I ended up purchasing a complete bumper assembly from TRF, as it was much
cheaper than the price of the mounts (used, from another supplier) and the
new cover I needed.  (I also purchased it during a free shipping special)
As I recall, it might even have been cheaper than what TRF was asking for
the cover alone.

Some people on the TR8 list have recently mentioned that TRF's remaining
stock of bumper assemblies are damaged - It's possible they might be
parting out the kits.  Otherwise, I have a brand-new never installed
complete bumper, mounts, and pivot I'll probably be selling in the next
week.  I've given up trying to weld the 8 into something resembling a safe
car and purchased a donor which should be here in the next couple days.
If I don't need the bumper for it, out it goes.

> Also, what is with the extra cast iron bolted onto the bumper?  A futile
> attempt by the Brits to smuggle cast iron into the States? Or maybe a
> sabatoge effort by the "big three"to lower the gas milage of the 7?  Can
> I remove the weights and lesson the load on the mounts

Removing the weights on the bumper will introduce so much vibration into a
DHC TR7 it's not worth the hassle.  (Unless you're taking your car on the
dragstrip and really need to lose those extra 18 pounds.)  The weights are
there to counteract the tendency of convertibles to twist and shake going
over rough roads, RR crossings, etc.

-jason

Jason Clark
gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu

'80 TR8 DHC (awaiting donor body)
'80 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition DHC
'80 TR7 DHC (on its way to being gutted)