Re: TR7 Conv Front Bumper Mounts

To: John Schroth <jschroth@oh.verio.com>
Subject: Re: TR7 Conv Front Bumper Mounts
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:53:18 +0200
Cc: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi John,

John Schroth wrote:
> The front bumper mounts on the 80TR7 have fallen into hard times.

Welcome to the Club... If You ever find a source for them new
please tell The TR8 Car Club of America, The TR7/TR8 Mail list
AND me!

> The plate that is bolted to the bumper has separated from the
> rubber section of the mount, leaving the bumper to flop around.

Most common solution seems to be to weld the two metal plates
together, thus fixing it - and jamming it _permanently_ ...

> I just heard from Rimmer that the mount is no longer available.

And haven't been for some years.

> Does anyone know of a supplier for this hard to find part?

Not as far as I know - I've been searching for some time. Only
second hand ones are to be found. From Ted Schumacher for instance.

> Also, what is with the extra cast iron bolted onto the bumper?
>  A futile attempt by the Brits to smuggle cast iron into the
>  States? Or maybe a sabotage effort by the "big three" to lower
>  the gas milage of the 7?

They are dynamic/harmonic vibration dampers working together with
the centre pivot [have You lubricated Yours lately?] and the rubber
mounts of the DHC front bumper.

> Can I remove the weights and lessen the load on the mounts?

If You weld the mounts stiff then there's no meaning in the weights
any more... So then You can just as well remove them. It seems lots
of DHC owners have done just that.

> John Schroth
> 80 TR7 DHC and 76 Spitfire

Best regards
/Odd
--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,