dirty oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: dirty oil
From: Robert Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:42:10 -0400
To all:

I am still having problems with the oil in my 73 TR6 turning black after
a few hundred miles of driving.  I use 20-50 oil of good quality and the
original cannister filter.  The engine has approx 128,000 miles on it,
with good compression.  It leaks oil out of the rear main seal, but not
anywhere else.

No matter what brand of paper filter I use, the oil will not stay clean
for long, and I don't like to drive with black oil, thus I end up doing
oil changes too frequently.

Some listers replied to my last question on this by stating that
switching to a spin on filter would help.  However, I am wondering if
there are other causes.  Could it be too much 'gunk' on the bottom of
the oil pan?  Air filters not working properly?  Just an old engine that
needs rebuilding? (although the oil pressure is great with very little
exhaust smoke).

Would flushing the engine help?

Any help before I go out and buy a spin on oil filter adaptor would be
appreciated.  I prefer to go with originality, and don't mind the old
cannister filter arrangement, but...

Thanks

Robert Carley
73 TR6