Re: Valve Spring/Key Removal

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Spring/Key Removal
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:19:11 -0400

Day.John@fin.gc.ca wrote:

> There I go again - writing more from past experience than from what was
> actually being talked about!
>
> When I changed a busted exhaust valve a couple years ago on the TR6, I
> refused to remove the head, and instead used a hand tool to compress the
> spring (there being 2 on the later TR6 exhaust, thank goodness!). This I
> borrowed from the local Jag/LBC garage, and operated with a faucet-like
> tensioner once clamped on. To keep the valve from dropping down inside the
> chamber, I removed the plug and inserted a 3/8 socket extension. To keep the
> valve in place while I re-installed the collets (THAT's the name of those
> funny little things!), I used a line of sewing thread tied around the notch
> of the valve, and gained tension by tying it off to the hood latch, which
> was then directly overhead. I used an extension magnet to help place the
> collets in position; once they were in properly, I eased off on the spring
> compressor until all was good as new. I then had to remove the sewing thread
> with an x-acto knife, which I did completely. Any residual thread would
> either burn up or come out in the next oil change anyhow. And all that
> without the use of compressed air in the cylinder (but it was a great
> argument to buy one, for a while!). Cheers, JD

Next time you should try the rope trick.  It's so easy you'll kick yourself for
not
doing it before.

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars