"not sporty at all" ???

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, peterz@merak.com
Subject: "not sporty at all" ???
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:06:09 EDT
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
> Sent: Saturday, September 18, 1999 4:36 PM
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999
> Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>wrote
>
> Most Triumphs sold in the world were not sporty at all
> but rather sedans (Heralds and Vitesses come to mind,
> the 2xxx series saloons, and even a joint project with Honda
> called the Acclaim).

> When did you last drive a Vitesse then ?

Never. Not sure if I have ever even seen one in the "flesh". (I am one of
the many colonists on this list, although I'm sure you already had me pegged
as such).

> My Herald Convertible certainly was 'Sporting' if not an
> outright Sports Car per se... (especially when I tuned it
> with period tuning items = 100 bhp and 110 mph!)

I believe the original discussion centered around the "sports car" as
exemplified by the convertible 2 seater Triumphs (mostly TRs and perhaps
Spits as well, but you'll have to ask Kai M. Radicke for a specific
definition of what he meant). Also, I was not the originator of this thread
but rather responded to his earlier post. And furthermore, the discussion
was concerning stock cars, not tuned cars (at least I believe it was).

> And as for your saying that my Vitesse Convertible is not
> sporty at all ???

No I am not saying anything about your car. My comments were meant to
illustrate that the majority of Triumphs sold in the world were not 2 door
convertibles of the TR series but rather sedans. The original poster to whom
I replied (Kai M. Radicke) seemed to imply that Triumph has a strong
sporting image whereas Honda does not at least partly based on the types of
vehicles they sold (sedans vs roadsters). I was attempting to refute that
claim.

> Do you realise what you are saying ???

I don't think I am saying what you think I am saying, so I'd have to say "a
qualified no". :-)

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO

Sorry, Peter if I misinterpreted what you actually meant to say...
I just sometimes get a bit miffed when I (think I) see people (apparently)
underestimating Triumphs, especially the ones which do not appear to be
sports cars.
I have been involved with these cars long enough now to have seen that the
people who own them can and do have an immense amount of fun with them,
whatever model they own, and hence they are all equally worthy of our
'unqualified' support...
It's horses for courses, quite literally!

Regards
Léon
(who doesn't want a Honda btw, simply because there are plenty of other
interesting cars out there to try first!)