Re: Gas for a 1970 GT6+

To: BethKen@erols.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas for a 1970 GT6+
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:33:33 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-20 16:33:44 EDT, BethKen@erols.com writes:

<< So, what do ya'll use? I've bought 93 so far. Does Sunoco still make a
 higher octane (like 97?) and does it make a difference? >>

Ken,

I use Sunoco 94 in the Spit - it runs around $1.42/gal....I haven't seen any
higher octane than 94...I've tuned the Spit to yield a faint borderline ping
on a heavier than normal engine load....fuel mileage is between 29.1 and
30.7....I could probably use anyone else's 93 octane but I'd have to retard a
bit back to avoid pinging which I'm fairly certain is coming from carboned-up
combustion chambers...in my case, when you've got probably less than the
advertised 75 (new) bhp, "noticing a difference" really isn't an issue - it's
about driveability and performance with what's left that counts!!

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spitfire Mk3 FDU78512L