Thrust Washers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thrust Washers
From: "emmett" <budabud@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:58:09 -0500
I know there's been a lot of discussion about the infamous TR6 thrust
washers, but I'm still unclear about
some things.  I checked my crankshaft end-float with a dial gauge. Using the
pry bar method used in the service manual, the reading is .012. Using the
clutch method, the reading is .01.  Both are outside of the .006 to .008
specs in all the manuals I have read; but are within the .007 to .013
"allowable axial play" quoted in various posts to the VTR site. So..., am I
OK or not? Finally, if I do replace the washers, which direction do they
face?

a. Both oil grooves facing towards each other.
b. Both oil grooves facing away from each other.
c. Both oil grooves facing the same direction towards the inside of the
engine.
d. Both oil grooves facing the same direction towards the outside of the
engine.
e. None of the above. (Impossible,  I think).