Re: Considering Mallory dual point distributor

To: r-james@tamu.edu
Subject: Re: Considering Mallory dual point distributor
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:18:55 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Ray :

The first thing I'd do is get a ballast resistor, because your Accel
coil requires one.  The points are dying because they overheat due to
overcurrent, which could well be part of your miss problem.  Mid-60's
Chrysler products used a nice ceramic external ballast, with a mounting
tab, or any speed shop should be able to sell you a ballast resistor.

My rotor also wears at one corner, which I've always assumed meant I had
the wrong point plate in my distributor.  However, it hasn't caused me a
problem, so I've never worried about it.  Since most engine operation is
with full advance, perhaps it's normal for most of the wear to be at one
corner.  After all, the edge of the rotor has to cover a range of some
22 degrees difference in advance.

I assume the timing variation you describe is at 2500-3000 rpm,
otherwise your spark is advanced way too far.  Have you examined the
weights carefully, to make sure they aren't hitting something or
dragging on the distributor body at full advance ?  Have you checked the
dwell with the engine running, to see if it changes ?  (If it does, then
either the distributor shaft has side play, or the point plate is
loose.)

The only other thing I can think of is excessive end play in the
distributor drive gears.  Normally, this isn't a problem, but ???

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver