Re: Lucas fuse equlivants

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: Lucas fuse equlivants
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:04:21 -0400
Ken Gano writes:
>I have been reminded that Lucas fuses were sized differently than US
>standards.  It was suggested that a 30 Amp Lucas are something like a 17
amp
>Buss.  Does anyone know what the Buss cross reference for a Lucas 35 Amp?
>(or the 30 amp, for sure)

Ken and list:

The SAE fuses are rated at their holding current.  That
means a 20 Amp fuse will carry 20 amps forever and will open at a
current level of 40 Amps or less (usually somewhere between 30 and
40 Amps).  A Lucas fuse is rated at the current that will cause it to open.

For example, a 35 Amp fuse will carry 17 Amps forever and open at 35
Amps.  Therefore when replacing aLucas fuse with an SAE fuse divide
the current rating by 2.

Dave Massey