Leaking Gas with Fill up/TR6

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking Gas with Fill up/TR6
From: "D. Michael Scott" <dms@snip.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:53:42 -0400
I am a relatively new owner of a '75 TR6 and discovering the little or
BIG things I have to take care of.

Whenever I fill up at a gas station, there appears to be only a
momentary brief gas  leak which somehow gets under the car and drifts
over to the left
rear tire. There is no evidence of gas in the trunk or around the tank
itself. The car
was hurriedly thrown together by a body shop before being sold.

Now reading up on fuel system, and I do have the cylindrical cannister
hooked up, and the filler gasket or rubber surround appears lose on the
top most pipe..  This could be a BIG thing if I ever get an external
ignition!!

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, D. Michael