TR4A Sputtering / Loss of Power on Highway

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Sputtering / Loss of Power on Highway
From: "Amatruda, Andy" <aamatruda@email.mc.ti.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:17:13 -0400
After several annoying misfortunes after rebuilding the engine I finally put
the car up on the Highway.  Almost all of the vibration experienced
previously is gone due to 1) balancing the wire wheels at a business that
actually knows how to do wire wheels correctly and 2) balancing the
driveshaft.  However a couple minutes of highway speed brought on
backfiring/sputtering through the exhaust with a significant loss of power.
When I got off the exit and resumed city driving it seemed to "recover".
Checked under the bonnet; everything seemed OK.  Went back home and the same
thing happened (I could barely maintain the speed limit).

Things to consider:

The car hadn't been driven for 2 years during the rebuild (carbs were
rebuilt a few years earlier)

The engine has less than 100 miles on it

The gas, although it has stabilizer in it is also about 2 years old

I suspect a fuel delivery problem.  I seem to recall a thread about setting
the floats in the bowls.  I have installed Grosse Jets and have never felt
that setting up the floats per the manual is giving the desired result so
this may be a problem. Anyone have any comments here?

I'm going to replace my in-line fuel filter a lunch to see if that is
creating a restriction.  What else should I check?
Regards ..... Andy

Andy Amatruda
Senior Member Technical Staff
AS&C, M&C