Gearstick rattle TR6

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearstick rattle TR6
From: "frank" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:17:38 +0930charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all,

Recently the gearstick in the TR6 has started rattling when I'm
accelerating, or the engine's under some load. I've had a look
at it, and readjusted the bolts in the side which hook into the
grooves in the ball (sorry I can't remember the correct names
for these) so that everything is a bit tighter, but the rattle is
still there. It still seems like there's some axial play in the
gearstick when in gear, which doesn't seem correct to me, as
those adjustors are in pretty tight - a little too tight in fact as
it's sometimes difficult to get into second (wasn't hard before
adjustments).

Anyway, my question is: has anyone else had this problem,
and if so how did you fix it? I should have mentioned above that
the anti-rattle spring and button/nipple/whatever are intact and
functioning correctly. It's almost like the ball on the gearstick
isn't seating correctly in the socket on the top of the gearbox;
should I just repack it with heaps of grease?

Thanks,

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide