Triumph Turbo Transplant

To: <fatfred@power-net.net>
Subject: Triumph Turbo Transplant
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:53:08 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "SAAB List" <saabnow@saabnet.com>, "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <tr6guy@juno.com>
>Hello, I have a 1980 900turbo and a friend who is an english car fanatic
>was wondering if the turbo could be installed on the Triumph 2.0 liter
>engine which they shared with Saab. Also, what is the power output of
>the 1980 900turbo. Thanks in advance.

Doug,

The engine which Saab bought/licensed from Triumph was from the TR7 and used
in the Saab 99, not the 900, although the 900 is a derivative of the 99.
This was the least successful engine  Triumph ever produced (due to the
angled head bolts which Saab straightened out) and probably a significant
factor in their demise (my opinion).  Since the Saab 900 and the Triumph are
both two liter engines, the turbo capacity would most likely be Ok, but lots
of details would need to be worked out.  The Triumph list currently has a
guy working on super charging a TR6 (2.5 liter engine though).  Joe, care to
step in here?

Now, how about just dropping the whole Saab turbo engine into that Triumph?
Use the longitudinal 900 engine and keep the Triumph rear wheel drive.  The
TR3-6 drive trains can handle 150+ HP just fine.  The Saab engine is
probably lighter than the Triumph engine (good for handling) and all that
power could be lot's of fun. <mostly kidding>

I'm copying the Triumph list also, maybe someone has an answer for you
there.

Regards,

Jack Brooks
1960 Triumph TR3A