TR6 Sway Bar question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Sway Bar question
From: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 11:39:45 -0500
Listers:

I have a sway bar question beyond my scope (actually most of them are!)

I am putting on my front sway bar. I have upgraded to the poly bushes. On
the sway bar itself there are two of the poly bushes. The ones that go
through the u-bolts.

Anyway, if I read the book right, it says to torque to 4 ft-lbs. When I do
that the little tabs on the half circle cups that hold the bushes do not
make contact with the skid plate. They are free floating. I am sure that
partof this is due to the fact that the poly bushes don't compress as much
as the rubber bushes. I have to tighten the nuts just about to the end of
the u-bolt threads to make have all four tabs make contact with the skid
plate, and it seems more secure to me.

The issue is that in doing so, I am torquing the nuts on MUCH higher than 4
ft-lbs. The second thing is that I do not remember quite that much bolt
sticking out of the nuts when I took them apart, indicating that the four
tabs might not have been making contact with the skid plate in the first
place, but that just didn't seem right.

I would appreciate any thoughts suggestions, etc.