Re: Min specs for TR4 brakes??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Min specs for TR4 brakes??
From: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:15:34 -0500
>I can't speak for all TR4's, but the front rotors on the TR6 start at .510
>thickness.  10 mm is a little under .250 inches - those rotors are pretty
>thin. I want to point out that replacement rotors are relatively cheap, I
>recently saw prices in the $25 per rotor somewhere - there it is: TRF part
>number 209327 list price around $35... and the TR4 brake rotor is the same
>part as the TR6.

Just thought I would point out that 10 mm is actually .3937 inches;
25.4 mm in 1 inch, 10 / 25.4 = .3937.

Not to be nitpicky at all.  And I wholeheartedly agree -- don't be
cheap on your brakes.

Dan

>For the rear drums, there should be a number cast in the drum for max
>overall diameter. I do know that all big Triumphs use 9 inch drums (except
>TR2's and early TR3's, so I looked through a pile of them in my garage.
>Save the wisecracks, but the only number I did find on a drum was on an
>Al-Fin drum and it listed 9.055 max. inside diameter (230.0 mm for you
>folks in the "civilized" world.) I don't see the cast iron stock drums
>really supporting a whole lot more of an oversize.
>
>This part is more problematic for you, as they list for about $100 ea., but
>you can usually turn them a few times before you have to toss them. FWIW,
>the rear brakes do a lot less work than the fronts, so the regular drums
>should last a good long time - mine have over 100k miles on them and
>they're still okay. I only turned them once.
>
>If you have a pulse in your brake pedal, measure the runout on the front
>rotors. But again, with rotors as thins as you listed - you probably need
>to replace those puppies.
>
>Get new bolts and lockwashers for the rotor to drum mounting. You might as
>well re-grease the front bearings while you have things apart, so get some
>new grease seals while you're ordering stuff.
>
>Hmmm, this is starting to add up.
>
>But don't cheap-out on your brakes. Please.
>
>regards,
>rml

>Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
>Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
>Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper

Dan Buettner & Nicole Cable       mailto:nickndan@earthlink.net

With no fences or walls on the Internet, who needs Gates or Windows?