Early TR amp gauge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Early TR amp gauge
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 07:44:55 -0700
I just purchased an early TR amp gauge, downward pointing needle, 30-0-30.
I was told it was from a TR3/4.  It has the curved glass in perfect
condition, and a very good condition chrome bezel.  I bought it because I
wanted to replace the one I have in my car now.  The differences are that
this gauge is made by Lucas, and the one I am replacing is a smiths.  They
appear outwardly identical aside from the lettering of the manufacturer.  I
want to replace the bezel and glass to match what I have (with the smiths
stuff, flat glass, chrome ring/black bezel) but my main question is
operation.  The one I have now is a direct series type, that is to say that
all electrical loads that go to the car (with the exception of the starter)
run THROUGH this gauge.  I remember some talk of amp gauges that use a
shunt and this is not what I have in the car now.  Does the early type amp
gauge use this shunt or is it like the one I have in the car presently?  I
am leaning towards the latter because the gauge has some fairly large male
slip on terminals (that I can't seem to locate the female counterparts for)
indicating a large current capacity, but at the same time it also has
terminals for the smaller easily available push on variety.  They appear to
be all one terminal that is to say one piece of metal.  The larger terminal
is on "the top" and the bottom has the smaller terminal, looking at the
back of the gauge.  Anybody have the scoop?  I don't want to fry this gauge
- it's apparently hard to come by

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)