Speedo and Tach

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedo and Tach
From: John Summers <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 00:49:24 -0400
After seeing talk about what revs match what speed, I was on the
Interstate today and noticed that my tach read 5,000rpm at just under 60
mph.  Number one:  I've known since I got the car that the spedometer
was wrong, like 10 mph under actual speed.  And Two:  the tach can't be
registering accuratly because most of the time it kinda bounces
around,,,except today.
        Does 5,000rpm @ 60mph sound correct?  It doesn't "sound" right to my
ear in that I don't doubt the car is turning a lot of rpms, but it just
sounds like a LOT of rpms at what ever highway speed I go.  A speedo
reading of 80mph is about as fast as I want to take it because it IS
really revvin at that speed.  I was told when I bought the car that a
previous owner had done a lot of autocross with it.  Could it be he had
it geared for autocross and never put it back for normal driving?

John Summers
74 TR 6