Welding over Jet hot's coating

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Welding over Jet hot's coating
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:32:02 -0700
I have a small leak in one of my headers in a rather difficult to get at
place.  It's in the junction of the pipes to collector, and of course in
the center area.  These headers are coated with Jet hot's ceramic silver
coating, and normally I would have just ground away a small area and
braised/welded over the affected crack.  However, it's practically
impossible to get a grinder down in there, and was wondering about just
trying to do it without grinding.  My thinking was that the extreme heat,
compared to the exhaust generated heat, would burn off the coating
sufficiently enough in the localized area, to allow the repair.  Anybody
have any experience with doing this, and the result?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)