RE: Rings/Bad Compression

To: "Chris Kincer" <KincerC@area.abcbank.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rings/Bad Compression
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:11:34 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

Hey Chris,

Before you do anything drastic, try the Marvel Mystery oil cure. Since your
car sat so long, it's possible your newish rings are simply rusted in place
and that the cylinder bores are a bit rusty also, stuck valves, etc...

Go get yourself a quart of MMO at you local Pep Boys (or other). It will
probably be shelved with a bunch of useless oil additive products. Pay no
mind to these pretenders.(all IMHO)

Remove your plugs. Drop about 1-2 ozs of MMO down each spark plug hole. Put
the plugs back in let it sit overnight. Put about 1/3 of the remainder in
your engine oil and the rest in a full tank of fresh gas.

Next day, fire that sucker up and run the heck out of it. Expect LOTS of
strange smelling smoke then less smoke as the day progresses. Think of how
many disease carrying mosquitoes you'll kill! You may need an extra set of
plugs...

Check your compression again. I bet you'll have a lot more compression.
You'll feel the difference as the rings and valves come unstuck and begin to
do their jobs.

This may sound like an odd procedure but I know at least two Ferrari V12
owners who SWEAR by it as a yearly ritual. (and these are the kind of
Ferrari guys who actually DRIVE the heck out of 'em.) The peppermint oil,
which is a major ingredient in MMO, is great at dissolving the carbon and
rust present in a long unused engine. It also smells good! (KEEP OUT OF
REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS!)

Good Luck Bro!

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A