Re: Stumped and Frustrated -- TR-6 Ignition

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stumped and Frustrated -- TR-6 Ignition
From: "Joe Donovan" <jdonovan@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:15:35 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Help!   I've got a '73 TR-6.   It ran great last Sat, until it started to
cut out on me.   At first it would start again, and idle OK, but when I put
it in gear it just died.    I looked under the hood and discovered that the
rotor had split in two.   I glued the rotor together with Elmer's plastic
cement and got the car into my downtown garage.

Ordered a new rotor from Moss.   Installed it, turned the key, no start.
Opened up the distributor, rotor also split in half!   Tentative
diagnosis -- maybe the wrong distributor cap.  Anyway, put back my
glued -together rotor.  Started right up, idled fine.   Drove around the
garage like an idiot for a while.  The car ran fine until it got up to
normal operating temperature, then cut out under load.   It started up and
ran fine at idle or even at high RPM with no load, but as soon as I put it
in gear it cut out.

What's happening?
-